Friday, August 12, 2011

References: Part 8 (Denise Duong)

Dear Reader,

Earlier this year at the Art Institute of Chicago I came across a couple of fantastic non-traditional tapestries that made magnificent forest scenes from swatches of fabric. It felt like a natural fit for our aesthetic, but left me pondering how to bring it's static nature to life.

Here in Park City, while wandering through some galleries, I came across the work of Denise Duong, a delightful artist who uses many fine papers and fabrics cut to shapes to make whimsical mixed media pieces with transportive titles such as "Happily Lost" (below). Check out her website to see more highlights.


Her work got me to thinking again ... and I think, with the addition of half a dozen layers of glass, I might have an idea of how to incorporate some similar elements into the world of The Squirrel King.

I can hardly wait to return to LA!

Chin chin
Ruthless Whims

No comments :

Post a Comment